Chemical Industry SAP Automation
SAP EHP Update
This customer is one of the world’s leading specialty chemicals companies. Based in Germany, they are active in more than 100 countries. The company operates production plants in 24 countries and 75% of their sales are generated outside of Germany. Dedication to innovation and customer satisfaction are the key factors contributing to their success and growth.
The customer was running 2 separate SAP HR system landscapes – one in Germany and the other in Belgium. This led to problems in the standardization of processes and data, combined with unattractive operational costs. They wanted to:
- Unify business processes
- Avoid redundant development and redundant maintenance
- Lower the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
SAP system consolidation projects face two major challenges:
- Scoping the project: There is no way to accurately scope complex consolidation projects manually, which introduces significant risk in planning. Uncertainty can result in budget overruns, imperfect execution and missed deadlines.
- Implementation: System consolidations are often affected by a large number of errors and conflicts within the custom code base that require remediation with a degree of precision that is expensive and difficult to achieve within a desirable time frame.
Advantages of smartShift’s approach
Step 1 – Analysis
To understand the depth and nature of the technical challenges involved, smartShift conducted a series of analyses on the relevant SAP systems.
The analysis process identifies the system details including
number and type of:
- Conflicting objects
- Objects which need Unicode conversion
- Objects with hard coded business values
- Objects requiring code standardization and optimization
These were the findings:
|Analysis||Phase 1||Phase 2|
|Number of Objects with Conflicts||6608||1489|
|Number of Hard Code|
|Number of Violations|
The 16,000+ hard coded business values in literals were the most prominent issue. The initial analysis accurately defined the scope of the project, identified up front the risks involved and allowed smartShift to commit to a fixed time frame for the completion.
Step 2 – Consolidation, Unicode Conversion, and ABAP® Code Optimization
Using our patented automated transformation tools, we then:
- Moved the objects from source systems to the target system
- Resolved conflicts by automatically renaming and cloning
- Converted the necessary objects to Unicode
- Replaced thousands of hard coded literals and implemented a flexible solution for future maintenance
- Optimized all related ABAP code in the process for better maintainability, stability and performance
The key benefits that the customer enjoyed by leveraging smartShift’s automated approach are as follows:
- Significantly faster project completion
- Shorter code freeze time
- ABAP code optimization
- Ability to accurately scope the project risk, duration and budget